Friday, December 11, 2009

Texas Edumacation (*_*)

I chose to comment on ExtraordiMary blog about texas education. I agree with her and dislike the fact that Texas is "50th in National SAT scores and of the top 5 for highest high school dropuouts rates." I can also see why she is isn't happy to have graduated from high school and "did NOT garduate with a proper education." I felt the same way after i graduated. I went to the same school all my four years of high school and only worked hard for two years. My sophmore and junior year i did very poorly and felt like dropping out. After seeing all the frredom i got and how easily it was to skip high school, i chose to be the bad kid for those two years. When i made it to my senior year, not knowing how, i noticed i didn't want to be left behind and started to work very hard for to graduate. I went in an hour early before school started and left an hourly late after school was over. Texas government needs to step up and do a better job for public schools, if i graduated this easily with only two years of hard work, senior and freshmen, what the hell is the purpose of spending money on the teachers if their giving me a passing grade? I know being a teacher isn't the highest paid profession in the world or that its pleasant, but if you chose to do this job and not like it, then why are you even teaching at all? Maybe the question is; why is Texas letting you teach like at all if you're not doing your job right?
Did you know that the newspaper has to interpret its words to that of a middle school student level? That's how low Texas education is and the fact that higher education is doing so well is a huge mystery to me. The only possible explanation i have for this is: For higher education one must pay for their education and are old enough to know what they want in life, and as for K-12 students it's free and we go to it because it's the law in Texas and we missuse our free opportunity for a successful future. In other words, we really don't know what we have until we lose it. I am really glad that i chose to got to college because i really found out what learning and getting educated really meant. This semester i had two really great teachers that knew what they were teaching and might have learned the most from them than i ever haved in all my years of education.
Knowing that Texas education isn't the best in the U.S. makes me "sick" and "embarrassed" like Mary, but knowing that there are teachers that try hard to educate their students and pushes them to expand their mind, gives me hope that one day we can both become number 6th and 49th.

No comments: